Here’s a string of references in brief, all noting that God works through his word.
(Originally from a talk at last weekend’s church camp. So not trying to be complete, but illustrative and persuasive.)
- God said, ‘Let there be light’ (Gen 1)
- The heavens were made by the breath of his mouth (Ps 33)
- ‘Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens (Ps 119)
- The word of the Lord goes out and achieves the purpose for which it was sent (Isa 55)
- The Word became flesh (Jn 1)
- the word of God is living and active (Heb 4)
- Christians are to let the word of Christ dwell among us (Col 3)
- The risen Christ upholds all things by the word of his power (Heb 1)
- Sardis looked a weak church, but commended: ‘you have little power, but you have kept my word’ (Rev 3)
- The judgement comes with the rider on the white horse, faithful and true, the ‘name by which he is called is the word of God’ (Rev 19)
If we are to be God’s people, we must be people of the word. Faith comes throught hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ’ (Rom 10).